Sunday, August 10, 2008

Menu Plan Monday, Aug 11-17, 2008

I can't believe it!! Only two more weeks until school starts! Sorry, it's been an extremely long and stressful summer. I love my daughter a bunch but it is truly best that she starts back to school soon.

I would truly love to get some ideas on a tuna casserole or that type meal. I would use the oven at least once but I would prefer crockpot or microwave casseroles. I'm also drawing a blank as to what to do with the smoked sausage. I usually do a sausage, potatoes and onion dish but have no potatos or onions right now.

For more menu ideas you definitely will want to visit Laura at I'm an Organizing Junkie

Monday - Chicken Pineapple Oriental (Time got away from me, dd7 had fish sticks and mac & cheese, I had leftovers)
Tuesday - Smoked sausage somehow (fixed the Chicken Pineapple Oriental)
Wednesday - YoYo night (translate that into leftovers) (Tuna casserole)
Thursday - Tuna Casserole (anyone got a good recipe using canned tuna?) (Rotisserie Chicken)
Friday - Green Chile Chicken (Leftover chicken with california blend veggies)
Saturday - Hot dogs on the grill (if The Daddy comes up)Didn't happen...Smoked sausage skillet meal
Sunday - Banquet Fried Chicken, sides to be determined (mini corn on the cob, mashed potatoes)

4 comments:

Lisa Knight said...

I just use a basic white sauce (butter, flour, milk) with tuna, peas, onion & egg noodles. That's what my Momma makes!

The Frugal Momma

Nicole said...

I'm from Texas too! I have a tuna casserole that's on my site. It's pretty good.

Nicole said...

I was in England when I made the tuna casserole. They sold 16 oz. cans of cream of mushroom. I guess you could just use 2 cans of the regular sized cans :)

daisy said...

Here's one I've made that my hubby likes, and he's not a big casserole fan. I think it's the seasoning that he likes...he's not a fan of bland food.

Tuna Casserole

2 to 2 ½ cups dry pasta
2 large cans of solid white albacore tuna, drained (or 2 cooked chicken breasts, cut up)
1 or 2 cans green beans (or veggies of your choice)

Sauce:
½ cup butter
½ cup flour
1 ½ cups chicken broth
1 ½ cups milk
¼ cup whipping cream
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
½ tsp Garlic Garlic seasoning
½ tsp Mrs. Dash seasoning
½ tsp seasoned salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
½ cup Parmesan cheese
3 slices of American cheese
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 package of saltine crackers, crushed
¼ cup melted butter
Can of French fried onions

Preheat oven to 350°.

Cook pasta till it is al dente. Drain.

While the pasta is cooking, create a medium white sauce by melting butter in a 4 qt. saucepan, adding flour with a whisk when butter is melted. After flour is completely stirred in, add chicken broth, whisking together, add milk, and then add cream.

Continue stirring for a minute or two, and add remaining ingredients. Continue to stir with whisk until mixture starts to thicken. Remove from heat. If sauce is too thick, add a little more milk. It should be no thicker than a medium pancake batter. Let sit until pasta is done, stirring occasionally to keep a skin from forming on top.

Put the pasta into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Layer tuna over the pasta, and the veggies over the tuna. Pour the white sauce over the top and stir together gently, just till everything is coated with sauce.

Sprinkle ½ cup of cheddar cheese over the mixture. Sprinkle crushed crackers over the cheese. Pour ¼ cup melted butter over the crackers.

Bake for 35 minutes at 350°. Sprinkle French fried onions over the top of the casserole. Bake for five minutes more. Remove from oven. Allow to cool about 10 minutes.