Sunday, July 11, 2010

Facebook - Friend or Foe?

I know technology has come a long way since we first started using computers and I also know that it’s assumed that everyone is tied into the technological world. This is not necessarily the case. There are people who still do not own computers and there are people who still do not own iPhones or other “smart” phones. Even those who do have computers or phones that text and can access the internet don’t always fully utilize those technological marvels.

I am on my computer every day thanks to being able to be home versus in the 9 to 5 world. Even with that though, I haven’t yet bought into the “Facebook Rules” mentality so I don’t check my Facebook page fanatically. There are days that go by without me even looking at it. I do own a cell phone and I do have a texting plan but I don’t have internet or web access on it because I can’t afford the plans.

By now you are wondering I’m sure where this post is going. It’s going here…

This morning I opened my Facebook page to check my updates since it was probably Friday afternoon or so when I last checked. First thing I see in my updates is a message from my nephews wife saying something about him going to be having surgery on Monday and how his hip is broke etc… I, of course, start tracking back in the updates to see what is going on and lo and behold on Friday night he was in a 4 wheeler accident. The 4 wheeler landed on top of him and he has a crushed hip, the other hip is fractured and of course he is in tons of pain. Thankfully he sustained no head injuries and is not paralyzed. He will have a very long surgery performed on Monday and faces rehabilitation after that.

Once I made sure that he was not in critical condition, I started reading comments on the original post to kind of catch up and I saw that another niece of mine had commented. I didn’t even know that she was on Facebook so I friended her real quick and then searched to see if her brothers were on Facebook. One of them is so I went to his page and I find out that I became a great aunt again oh, about 8 months ago… If I hadn’t checked Facebook today would I have found out about my nephew’s accident or about my great niece? Who knows...

My question to you today is…

If technology has allowed us to be more connected to people from all over, how is it that it has made us become less connected to our very own families? Do you rely solely on the internet to let people know what is going on in your life? Is anyone else as bothered by this as I am or am I just being overly snarky?

1 comment:

amanda said...

I know quite well that plenty of people are not "plugged in". Chris's family, for instance. They still rely on the telephone for news. But we still don't get much in the way of news. My family...well, if it weren't for Facebook I wouldn't have any idea what my cousins were up to, and the whole other side of my family is completely silent. The kids are probably on Facebook, but as their names are utterly common I have no hope of finding them unless they find me.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is: I know your family is very different from mine and that you are for the most part much closer and more involved with each other than I ever have been, and so I understand you being upset this morning. But at the same time, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it happened to me. That's how I knew my cousin had her baby. And frankly, I'm fine with it. But that's me, and you probably knew that. :)